Information We Collect
Information you give us
When you create an account with us, you provide your email address, which we use to authenticate you to your Cobu account and send you important updates about your account. You also provide your name and certain other limited personally identifiable information such as your address and your interests. This personal information is used to provide the services to you. You can choose not to provide us with any or all of the information we specify or request, but then you may not be able to register with us or to take advantage of some or all of our features. Any other information you enter into Cobu, Inc. such as mailing addresses, unit number, building, lease dates, interests, group participation, notes, and application preferences, are strictly for presentation and functionality purposes within the app (e.g. to display in your profile within the app). We reserve the right to aggregate this information to help us operate, provide, improve, understand, customize, and support our site, services, and app. Some of this information may be made available to other users of the app depending on your user preferences, which you control.
We restrict use of the app to individuals age 18 and above, and do not knowingly seek or collect personal information from anyone under the age of 18.
Automatic information we collect
Like many other websites, we also collect information through cookies and other automated means. Information of this sort includes:
Technical information about your browser and mobile device: This information is used in the aggregate to help us optimize the service for common browsers and devices.
Usage information, such as the customized calendar, features and emails from Cobu that you interact with: We collect and use this behavioral information and may use it in anonymized and aggregate forms to generate statistics about users and how the services are being used and to facilitate targeted communications and advertisements but the information is not shared in any form that could be used to identify you personally. Please see “How we use and share the information we collect,” below, for further information and choices about sharing information with third parties.
Location-based data: We may access, collect, monitor and/or remotely store “location data,” which may include GPS coordinates (e.g. latitude and/or longitude) or similar information regarding the location of your mobile device to provide certain features of the service. You will always have the option to disable location-based services. However, the service may not function properly if use or availability of location data is impaired or disabled.
Crashes and error reports: If you encounter a crash or error while using our service, we may generate a crash report that includes technical, usage and, if you are logged in, your account information so that we can diagnose and potentially prevent the problem in the future.
How We Use and Share the Information We Collect
We reserve the right to aggregate information about our online communities to identify brands and business partners that can support the development of and enhance our groups, gatherings, and communities. Brand and business partners with whom we decide to work will never have access to your personalized information except as described herein.
Cobu may share certain personal information such as your email address with the following service providers, who help Cobu provide the services to you.
- Mailchimp and SurveyMonkey receive your email address in order to send transactional emails on behalf of Cobu, Inc. When you send an email to any @livecobu.com account, your email address is revealed in the "reply to" header of the email.
- Mixpanel receives your email address in order to aggregate data on behalf of Cobu, Inc.to help us improve how we power genuine community. Mixpanel may also access and store your IP address and location for aggregated event analytics, but will not use or share this information in a way that will identify you personally. Please see https://mixpanel.com/legal/privacy-policy/ for more detail.
We reserve the right to aggregate and use information to improve your engagement with our site, services, and app so that we can help build a digital community that supports you as a community member, an individual, and a user.
Cobu, Inc. may be required to share your information when investigating violations of the Terms of Service. Additionally, we may share your information if required to comply with applicable laws, including compliance with warrants, court orders or other legal processes. Finally, we may share your information with a successor in interest upon the occurrence of a merger, acquisition, or sale of substantially all of its assets.
Third Party Services and Links to Other Websites
Lawful Basis to Information Processing
We process your personal data only when we have a lawful basis. Presently, we have a legitimate interest and, in some cases, your consent as the lawful basis for processing. Our legitimate interest is to deliver the services to you. We have determined that our processing of your personal data is necessary to deliver the services to you, and that there is no less intrusive means of delivering you the services. Finally, we believe that our processing of personal data will not cause unjustified harm in a way that would override our legitimate interest basis as provided under the EU’s General Data Protection Regulations.
In some cases, we may use consent as our lawful basis for collecting and processing certain types of personal information. In such cases, you have a right to withdraw consent at any time.
In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
Using the Services from outside the United States
The hosting facilities, servers and central database for the service are located in the United States. If you are accessing the service from outside the United States, please be aware that your information may be transferred to, stored, and processed in the United States by us as data controller and as data processor. By signing up for and using the service you agree to this transfer. Please be assured that we seek to take reasonable steps to ensure that your privacy is protected
How We Store and Protect the Information We Collect
Your password is hashed with bcrypt and the original is never stored. Your connection to Cobu, Inc. is encrypted with TLS v1.2.
Please keep the following points in mind:
- Cobu, Inc. is software running on the Internet, and while we do our best to keep it secure, getting hacked is not outside the realm of possibility.
- Cobu, Inc. runs on servers at Amazon Web Services, so someone there or someone who infiltrates their networks could have access to your data. The data entered into Cobu, Inc. is hosted in the United States.
- Cobu, Inc. sends email with Mailchimp and SurveyMonkey, so someone there or someone who receives emails from Cobu, Inc. will have access to any information placed into an email.
- Cobu, Inc. stores data in Mixpanel, so someone there or someone who infiltrates their networks could have access to your data.
Your Rights Regarding the Information We Collect
You have the right to:
- Update and correct your personal information and user settings
- Object to the processing of your personal information
- Request to view your usage data or have your personal information or usage data deleted or restricted from our service
- Request for portability of your personal information
- Cancel your account
To do any of these, simply notify us of this decision by one of these methods:
- Click on or select “Contact Us” in the Cobu application
- Follow the unsubscribe link in any marketing email or following the directions included in any other promotional material received from Cobu
- Contact our Privacy Officer at the address below or send an email to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will retain your profile information and usage data for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you services, comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements. If you close your account, we may still retain certain information associated with your account for analytical purposes and record-keeping integrity, as well as to prevent fraud, enforce our terms of service, take actions we deem necessary to protect the integrity of our website, our application or our users, or take other actions otherwise permitted by law. Deactivating your account does not automatically delete your account or usage data from our database, but regardless of any retention policy we will make reasonable efforts to enable you to delete your profile information from our database upon request. However, if certain information has already been provided to third parties, retention of that information will be subject to those third parties' policies. Additionally, if you have posted your information to other websites or otherwise made it available to the public, you may not be able to remove or edit your information from some internet databases.
Attn: Privacy Officer
2 Ave de Lafayette
Boston, MA 02111
Last Updated: May 1, 2019